Friday, April 25, 2008

Livestrong with Loquats!

For the Livestrong challenge, I made some Loquat Chutney to accompany my curried corn fritters. Please go to winos and foodies to see everyone elses wonderful concoctions!

Thanks so much to my friend Julie-Ann for the enormous bag of Loquats she gave me. They turned into a lovely loquat chutney for a great accompaniment to any curry type of meal, or would probably work really well with a strong cheddar in a sandwich.

I had them with some curry fritters, my usual Thursday night meal when I'm in on my own, I do like savory pancakes for dinner, but Andy really doesnt!



I'm lucky enough that I've never personally been touched by cancer, nor has anyone in my family, but I realise now that I look back that it has affected my life more than I realise. When I was at school, my best friend at school lost her mother to breast cancer, and it was a horrible experience for her. Then when I was 18 a close friend of mine, Elliot Moody, died of Leukemia, one minute he was having some bad headaches, after a few weeks he was in hospital, and then all of a sudden he reacted to the chemotherapy and died. Later in the year another friend's mother got lung cancer.

I now am a cycling addict with Team in Training, and many of the participants have said that it feels really good to get rid of the frustration by actually doing something physical. We train for an endurance event and raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society while doing it. I'll be riding 100 miles around Lake Tahoe in June, then my team will go on to try to complete the Death Ride (Raaagh!) in July.

Loquat Chutney -Adapted from Recipezaar

850g loquats (after removing stones)
2 large pears
1 cup applesauce
4 tablespoons mustard seeds
500 g raw sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons crushed chile

Remove tops and tails of loquats, plus seeds and any membranes. Cut into quarters.
Peel pears and cube.
Cut the dried apricots into strips
Crush some of the mustard seeds, leave the rest whole.
Put everything in a big pot and stew for about an hour and a half until the loquats are tender.
Pour into sterilized jars and keep in a cool dark place. Refrigerate when open.

Curry Fritters - enough for dinner and lunch the next day!

1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup gram flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup fried onions and garlic
1/2 cup sweetcorn and leftover potatoes
butter/oil for frying

Whisk together the first five ingredients
whisk together the milk and egg
combine the wet and dry, mix together then add onions, garlic etc.
Take 1/4 cup scoops and fry patties in a little butter/oil.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't think I've ever seen loquats in the shops here but I remember when I was a child a neighbour had a tree. The chutney sounds lovely. Thanks for Supporting LiveSTRONG With A Taste Of Yellow.