Friday, February 20, 2009

Mini Tart Tatins

I was making some desserts for valentine's day and remembered that one of my favorites is tart tatin. I love little individual desserts, so I wondered if it would work to bake little tart tatins in a muffin pan.

It worked wonderfully, they came out beautiful, if I was a little less lazy I could have arranged the apples a bit more carefully.

I was also making the caramel toffee cheesecakes from buff chickpea, so that caramel sauce doubled up nicely.

There isnt really a recipe, you take about 2 teaspoons of caramel sauce, put in the bottom of a muffin pan, chop 3 apples and cook until a little tender (I dont think I needed to do this, I could have sliced them thinner and they would have been fine).

Pop the apple slices into the pan, then add another drizzle of caramel sauce.

Top with a circle of either puff pastry or shortcrust pastry and bake for around 30 mins at 350f. Allow to cool, then place a baking sheet over the top, flip over and tap really hard to remove the tarts.

There might be a few bits of apples left in the pan, but they are really easy to pop back on the tarts.

2 comments:

adozeneggs said...

We made apricot tatins at the restaurant using discs of house made puff pastry and ramekins. It worked like a charm and they were delicious!
BTW the tatin was part of a trio of apricot desserts in the summer: apricot creme brulee, apricot sorbet (omg, sooooo good), and the apricot tart tatin. One of my favorite desserts that we made.

caninecologne said...

hello there!
wow, this seems quite do-able for me. i have all the ingredients too. i have a load of puff pastry that's dying to be used. off i go to defrost my puff pastry!