Sunday, May 10, 2009

New York City!

I recently spent a really fun long weekend with my Mum in New York, we made the most of my iphone apps and tried to see everything we could. Here are some of the culinary highlights! For more piccies check out my poor neglected travel blog.

The main focus of the trip for me was a cake class with the lovely Elise from Confetti Cakes, which I'll blog about later!
On the first morning we made our way up to columbus circle and had baked eggs, a great way to start the day.



We later made our way up to wholefoods for a drink and then a lovely salad at Angelicas Kitchen






Dinner was probably the highlight of the trip. I got a really early reservation at babbo and I'm so glad I did. It really lived up to the hype, it was a wonderful experience. We shared softshell crab for an appetizer and my mum enjoyed a rabbit 3 ways for the main course and I enjoyed ricotta ravioli. We had to try dessert, a wonderful hazelnut chocolate cake with gelato. Mmm. I highly recommend trying to get a table there, it is very reasonably priced and a wonderful experience! Very much like a swan, it seems beautiful and serene in the dining room and I'm sure there is an amazing amount of work going on behind the scenes!!


The next day we made our way towards the financial district and decided to get a bagel for breakfast at murrays. It was incredible, it was very stressful trying to order without getting shouted at. The bagel with salmon and cream cheese kept me going all the way to an afternoon cupcake at babycakes, which was a real fun place to visit!



In the evening we thought it would be fun to try the oyster bar at the grand central station. The architecture was so cool and it was so old fashioned. I found my meal to be pretty bland and average, not to mention more expensive than a vastly superior meal the previous evening. Mum enjoyed her sole an awful lot, so that was good.



The next morning we got up and had breakfast near our hotel at cafe europa. Although it was a big chain, you couldnt beat the prices, it was a good breakfast with a fantastic view and we were very happy to be set up for the day.



We were also very happy to check out dean and deluca next to the rockafella centre. Really nice cheesecake with a very cool view where we could check out all the people.


























1 comment:

adozeneggs said...

I loved Babbo the last time I was there. I remember we walked a long way and didn't have a reservation. Luckily they were able to seat us. The blood orange martini was the best I've ever had.
Oh and the meal was fabulous too!