Sunday, May 11, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Its a friend's birthday coming up and I wanted to bake something for him. I'm told he likes a good chocolate chip cookies, and I wanted to try the alton brown recipe I'd been given by a friend.

They were wonderful! I ended up eating two of them as they were so delicious, especially straight out of the oven! This was a total winner recipe and definitely worked better with the flat cookie sheet. I scooped the flour, so decided to reduce the amount to two cups and I was worried they would be tough.

The Chewy
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show: Good Eats
Episode: Three Chips for Sister Marsha



2 sticks salted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
oven 375 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Heat the oven to 375 f. Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

Almost Vegetarian said...

You only had two? TWO?! I would have 'fessed up to two, but, my dozen would have been, oh, say ten. That, minus the two I 'fessed up to (plus the two I snuck, erm, dropped on the floor) means there are only eight for everyone else.

Hey, don't I deserve a little something (or two or three or four!) for doing all that baking?

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Those look really good! I never really stray from the standard Tollhouse recipe but these look much better than mine so I guess maybe it's time for a change!