Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Del Mar Fair! My first bake-off!

I decided to enter the Eagle Brand bakeoff, seemed like a good plan, especially since you get free entry to the fair.

I baked a shortbread cookie with some zest in, gently boiled down condensed milk to a dulce de leche, made a sandwich, which I dipped in chocolate and pecans. I thought they were delicious, but I didnt win. Oh well!

Most of the winners were creamy pies, mine was quite involved, and maybe they wanted a really quick and easy recipe.

Anyway, the fair was a lot of fun, I had a look around all the scary fried foods stands and the zucchini fries looked very nice so I tucked into them. This was all I could take, so no funnel cake or fried ice creams for me! I love the emphasis on 'Totally Fried'!!

We then made our way over to the turkey stampede, which was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. The turkeys are too stupid to actually race, so they drive a very cool remote control truck for them to follow. It was quite interesting, despite being rather intellectually challenged, the heirloom breeds of turkey were pretty nimble. It was heartbreaking when they brought out the butterball turkey, it could hardly walk. I've read about this in 'Animal Vegetable Miracle' by Barbara Kingsolver so it was interesting to see this first hand.

The last surprise of the fair was the 'free bible stories. I like the way the jester was laughing in a way which kind of meant 'If you fall for this then I'm a monkeys uncle'. Oh dear.

Nothing against religion but this is a bit over the top!!

1 comment:

Meandering Eats said...

Hey, a Threadless shirt! I love those shirts. I avoided the fair this year, because I couldn't handle the sun and crowds. However, the idea of entering a baking contest sounds fun. Maybe next year!