Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Nectarine, Apricot and Hazelnut Praline Cheesecake Bars

Phew, what a long title! I wish I could give stuff smaller titles sometimes! After the daring bakers extravaganza, and a party, I had cream cheese, egg yolks, hazelnuts and praline to use up.

This is my first time making cheesecake bars, I learned a lot. I overbaked them as I was worried that they were too jiggly. They were still pretty delicious. I know if I were to do it again I would add a little lcitrus to brighten the flavor.

I took the recipe from Joe at Culinary in the country/desert and proceeded to mess with it a lot!

Nectarine, Apricot and Hazelnut Praline Cheesecake Bars inspired by Culinary in the Desert.
For the crust

4 tablespoons salted butter
4 tablespoons water
9 graham crackers
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup granulated sugar

For the topping

12 ounces cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup hazelnut praline paste
3 apricots
2 nectarines

To prepare the crust

Preheat oven to 350

In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until the color darkens slightly and begins to smell very nutty. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers in a food processor with the hazelnuts until fine. Add flour and sugar, pulse, then pour in butter and water. Scoop the mixture into the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking pan lined with foil. Press the mixture down to form an even layer. Place in the oven and bake until lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.

To prepare the filling

Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and sugar until smooth and well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing just until combined. Mix in praline and vanilla. Arrange the nectarines and peach slices over the crust then pour cheesecake mixture over hot crust.

Bake until the center is just set, about 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for about 2 to 4 hours before cutting into bars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great use of leftover ingredients - these sound delicious! I just ate my leftovers from this recipe with a spoon while standing in front of my open refrigerator ...