Monday, April 27, 2009

Daring bakers! Kumquat Cheesecake

Wow, wow wow! I love cheesecake, and thanks to my lovely friends at bookclub and the wonderful daring bakers, I had a chance to make this.


I decided to go with a citrus theme, and made a kumquat cheesecake. This was absolutely divine! I added some minced candied kumquats to the cheesecake batter, then decorated with cutout candied kumquats and then drizzled the juice on the cake. Very sticky, but very tasty.


We agreed that the citrus cut through the incredible richness and I was glad I hadnt gone the chocolate and/or nut route as that would have been too much for me.


I was hoping for leftovers, but the ladies have started taking the leftovers to their husbands, who look forward to bookclub as they will be getting leftovers. What an enormous complement!



The April 2009 challenge is hosted by Jenny from Jenny Bakes. She has chosen Abbey's Infamous Cheesecake as the challenge.


Please check jenny's site for the recipe, which I followed exactly, apart from adding 1/2 cup candied kumquats to the batter. I also added candied kumquats and syrup as decoration.


I baked the cheesecake in a springform pan, but I used saran wrap (clingfilm) to wrap before wrapping in foil, which is a good thing, since the foil did leak, but the saran wrap didnt(the foil must cover the saran wrap).


Take care not to overbeat the cheesecake, this will make it rise, then fall. Turn off the oven when it is just a little jiggly in the middle, and it will be just perfect after its second hour in the oven resting.

9 comments:

anna said...

That looks incredible! I love kumquats, though I have the dilemma of preferring them raw but also loving the syrup that results from candying them! I bet they pair wonderfully with the cheesecake.

Libby said...

Kumquats! What a perfect choice to liven up the cheesecake. Libby

Chantal said...

sticky and dessert is, i've learned very good! great job

Lauren said...

Mmm, your cheesecake looks amazing!! I love the flavours that you used =D.

Sweet Bird said...

Ooooh - I love kumquats!

adozeneggs said...

Looks great. I love citrus desserts.

Storybook Bakery said...

Wow, that looks delicious!

Unknown said...

I've not seen a kumquat cheesecake before! I love it!

Unknown said...

This looks so pretty! I love citrus with this recipe, but I bet this was just delicious with the unique flavor of a kumquat.

Jenny of JennyBakes