Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Daring Bakers-Sticky Toffee Pudding worth waiting for!

I was so determined to get this recipe in under the wire! Pudding is what we brits are famous for, I just couldnt possibly let this one pass me by! I thought about pudding and I just couldnt get my favourite out of my mind, sticky toffee pudding! I recall eating it at my friend's wedding last October and it nearly brought tears to my eyes, I was so full but I had to really work hard to stop myself from licking up every little bit of the caramelized brown sugar sauce!




It seems that most of the recipes I've come across are for a baked pudding although I think the original roots of the pudding may be as a steamed suet pudding. I didnt have any suet on hand and I dont eat meat, so I substituted coconut oil, which I felt had similar properties.
I added a little lemon to the recipe, lemon zest in the cake and juice in the sauce, I loved the little zing in there.
I really loved this cake, I think butter would work just as well as coconut oil, and the individual pots steam pretty quickly, I cooked them for 30 mins but I think 20 mins would have been just perfect, since it was on the dry side. Of course the fantastic sauce made up for any dryness!
Here is a recipe from channel 4 in the uk if you want to try a baked recipe.
It was fun getting to use my 'Dairy Book of Home Cookery-new edition for the 90's'!!

Sticky toffee steamed pudding (makes 4 large servings or 6 small ramekins)

4oz dates, chopped and soaked with 1/2 cup hot water and 1/2 tsp baking powder
4oz flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 oz panko breadcrumbs
zest 1 lemon
3oz sugar
3 oz coconut oil (can be replaced with butter or suet)
1 egg
2 oz milk
Mix the dry ingredients, whisk the egg, combine all the ingredients then spoon into 6 greased ramekins. Steam for 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Toffee Sauce
100g butter
100ml cream
1 cup brown sugar
juice of 1 small lemon
Heat the sauce until the sugar is fully dissolved and simmer for a couple of minutes. Add the lemon and stir to combine. Serve warm.
The April 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Esther of The Lilac Kitchen. She challenged everyone to make a traditional British pudding using, if possible, a very traditional British ingredient: suet.

6 comments:

Audax said...

Wonderful that you could get it done and your pudding looks spot-on so moist and light and that sauce is superb for this pudding. Great work on this challenge.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

The Betz Family said...

Wow, only 20 minutes to steam! That doesn't sound like it's too much time to wait for a delicious dessert. Nice job on the challenge.

Kirbie said...

Yummy, I've never actually had sticky toffee pudding. Only seen it on tv. Looks delicious!

chef_d said...

Wow this one looks delicious. Love the presentation!

Esther said...

That looks fabulous and I'm glad to have encorraged you to make one of your favorites :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Your pudding looks so scrumptious! Great job!

Cheers,

Rosa