Sunday, April 18, 2010

Delicious Failures!



So there I was whipping and whipping a meringue topping for my smores cupcakes and nothing was happening. Either my proportions were wrong or there was a tiny amount of fat, but I never got any billowy clouds of meringue.


Since I hate to waste anything, I turned my failed meringues into a success by folding in coconut, almonds, dried tart cherries, a little vanilla and almond essence. They were very well received at my bookclub!


We read 'The Survival Club' and it was a very interesing book. The basic principle that it seemed to keep returning to is that survival is often based on the determination of the person and that the mind is a very powerful thing.


Coconut Almond Cherry Meringues

2 egg whites

1 cup sugar

2 tbsp corn syrup

2 tbsp water

1 cup coconuts

1/4 cup slivered almonds

1/4 cup dried cherries

1/2 tsp almond essence

1 tsp vanilla essence


Preheat the oven to 325

Whip up the egg whites, sugar, corn syrup and water.

Fold in the remaining ingredients

Bake for around 20 minutes until the macaroons are starting to brown

Wait until fully cooled before removing from the sheet.

Nom

Scoop walnut sized scoops onto a parchment covered baking sheet

1 comment:

perfect boyfriend gift said...

Thanks for the recipe! It looks really delicious!