Friday, May 13, 2011

Avocado Frosting

I tried my hand at another vegan frosting idea. Having found two beautiful avocados in my CSA from Bewise, I decided to put them to use in a sweet way. I'd seen Alton Brown and Joy the Baker use them, so I thought it might be worth a try.



Although I'm a buttercream fan, I cant stand the thought of using anything but real butter for it, so the thought of using margerine was out for me. I'm happy to use tofu, or maybe coconut cream, but I wanted an alternative.




I'd say this was fairly successful, it did sit on the cake, but it refused to firm up enough to pipe into a pretty swirl, and the flavor is distinctly of sweet avocado, which I found unusual. The color is pretty alarming too! My friends at bookclub loved it though, so it was a hit for most people!




It will come in handy for the times I want green, but dont want to dye my frosting!




Avocado Frosting


2 large avocados


1 lb powdered sugar (add to taste)


juice of 1 large lime




Mash up the meat of the avocados then mix with powdered sugar until it thickens. Pipe onto cupcakes

No comments: