Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Almond Peach and Cherry Teacakes

I still had some egg whites and almond flour left and I wanted to try another take on the adorable tea cakes that I found on fresh from the oven. As I mentioned, they were a little on the salty side, and they were also a little too decadent for an every day snack with the butter and almonds, so I lightened them up a little, I loved the cherries in them but didnt love the pits in there, so I pitted them and added chopped peaches. Delicious and healthy!

They would be perfect for a picnic, I'll be taking them to bookclub.

Mini Cherry & Almond Tea Cakes adapted from Fresh from the Oven
Makes 24 mini muffin sized cakes and 6 regular ones, or around 18 larger cakes.

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/4 cups almond flour (the kind with the skins still on.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tsp baking powder
5 large egg whites
8 oz non-fat milk
1/2 tsp almond essence
30 sweet (Bing) cherries (pitted or not)
2 chopped peaches

Preheat the oven to 350f
Grease a mini muffin pan and 6 holes in a regular muffin tin
Whisk together the dry ingredients
Whisk together the milk, eggs and almond essence until frothy.
Combine the two, put the batter into the muffin pans until about half-full, add a cherry to each and a couple of pieces of peach.
Bake for 10 mins for the smaller cakes and around 15 mins for the larger. When a toothpick comes out clean they are done!

No comments: