Friday, August 29, 2008

Mama's Kitchen-Giving something back

After finishing my bike ride, and raising lots of money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, I was trying to think of something I could do to help the community.

Mama's kitchen seemed the perfect opportunity. Its an organisation that feeds people who are affected by AIDS or other critical illnesses. They make up a meal and put it in a food parcel that volunteers deliver to people who cant cook for themselves three times a week. It seemed like a wonderful idea, to be able to help people with healthy nutritious food.

I did my first shift today, I didnt manage to stay long as I had to rush off to work, but it seemed like a really nice atmosphere amongst the volunteers and I already met some really nice people. I think this is going to be a very rewarding experience.

This time I was helping to add fruit to bags, and carefully bagging up a mixture of greens and tomatoes. Hopefully one day I'll get to help with some cooking, but we'll see!

This is a really nice way to give back to people in need and make some new friends. I'm sure they are always looking for people to help with the food parcels(mon, wed, fri 8.30-) and to help deliver food, and to collect food on the various food drives. All you need to do is attend an hour long orientation, fill in a form with a couple of references, and then you're ready to go.

No comments: