Sunday, April 6, 2008

Chocolate Malted Whoppers-wow!!

Oh my goodness, I need to get these out of my house asap! Yet another Dorie Greenspan recipe which is just totally amazing! You need quite a sweet tooth for these. The malted flavor coupled with the delicious chocolate is just unbeatable and the melted whoppers are all gooey and chewy. I reckon they'd be better with maltesers, but thats just me being British!!

If you're going to make these, make sure they have a home before you start, otherwise you'll be buying a new pair of trousers!

I forgot my hat and my knives at my class last week for my exam, so I will be giving some of these as a gift to my wonderful generous classmates for helping me out.

I know these are all over the web, but I really liked them and just had to post! Joe did them justice in his blog, his pictures show the bits in them much better than mine!

Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops (Baking From My Home to Yours-Dorie Greenspan)

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chocolate malted milk powder (I used Ovaltine)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
11 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk
6 ounces malted milk balls, halved or coarsely chopped
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, malted milk powder, cocoa, baking powder and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined after each. Mix in vanilla. Dont worry if it all looks curdled, it will come together once you add the dry.

Add half the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Mix in milk, then the remaining dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Add malted milk balls and chocolate chunks and mix together.

Using a tablespoon cookie scoop, drop the dough onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until the centers are set and puffy, but still soft to the touch - about 11 minutes, try to rotate in the oven if you remember half way through cooking. Remove and let sit on the baking sheets for a couple minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 30 cookies.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I made these some time ago, and ended up making a second batch right after the first because we liked them so much!