Thursday, September 4, 2008

Spicy Red Pepper and Eggplant Confit with Rosemary Flatbread


IMGP2115
Originally uploaded by jennywenny

Mmm. This was a delicious appetizer before we started grilling on Saturday. I had a nice juicy looking eggplant, and some tomatoes from my CSA box, and I had seen some delicious looking flatbread on Smitten Kitchen. A perfect combination!

This recipe can be adapted to whatever you have available, adding and subtracting as you please. I didn't use the whole amount of olive oil, I just drizzled some oil over the veggies and then roasted. I had ready roasted peppers, so I just chopped them and added in the last few minutes of cooking. Its interesting, my husband sampled the same dish in a restaurant the next day and it was too oily, so I'm happy I held back, for taste reasons as well as our health.

The rosemary flatbread was a perfect accompaniment in flavor and very convenient to cook together, I cooked the eggplant and fresh tomatoes for 30 mins, then increased the temperature of the oven to 450 and cooked the three flatbreads one at a time. These are totally delicious and addictive!

Spicy Red-Pepper and Eggplant Confit adapted from Gourmet, May 2006
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 large garlic cloves, smashed
1lb 5oz fresh tomatoes coarsely chopped
Small jar of roasted red peppers
Olive oil to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
Arrange the eggplant, garlic and tomatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil, salt, pepper and pepper flakes and bake in a 400f oven for around 30 mins, stirring occasionally
Increase oven temp to 450 and cook for a further 20 mins, adding peppers for the last 5 mins.

Crisp Rosemary Flatbread
gourmet July 2008
Please see epicurious for this, I followed the recipe exactly and it was very quick and easy.


No comments: