Saturday, October 13, 2007

Aaaah, nice cup of tea and....

a Flapjack.

Seems like a perfect day for a bit of comfort food, its nasty and rainy here. I'm very annoyed as I've got a training ride with my bike team but there is no point going out there at the moment so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm writing an essay on Golden Syrup for my Pastry and Baking class, I forgot how wonderful it was, its just so rich and delicious and comforting, and when paired with butter in a baked recipe it takes things to another level! If you somehow happen upon my blog, please comment on your favourite golden syrup recipe, I'd love to hear!

Flapjacks are so simple, just 4 ingredients, but so good! I wish they were a little healthier but the odd treat like this is good for the soul, I'm sure!

Recipe (from the Dairy Book of Home Cookery)
Preparation 20mins Cooking 30 mins
Makes 24

100g (4oz) Butter
75g (3oz) Golden Syrup (Lyles is best)
75g (3oz) Soft Brown Sugar
225g (8oz) Rolled Oats

1. Put butter, syrup and sugar into a saucepan and stand over low heat until melted
2. Stir in oats and mix well.
3. Spread into a greased 20.5 x 30.5 cm (8x12 in) swiss roll tin, and smooth top with a knife
4. Bake at 350F(180c gas mark 4) for 30 mins.
5. Leave in tin for 5 mins, then cut into 24 fingers.

They had microwave instructions but in my opinion they need to be baked. I guess when this book was written they were trying to put everything they could think of in the microwave, I'd hope we've found its limitations now!

No comments: