Monday, October 1, 2007

Fig marscapone tart with almond shell

The beautiful Figs, olives, wine blog was my inspiration for this tart, as were the delectable figs that have been popping up in Trader Joes, and the farmers market. I very nearly scarfed my bounty from the market before I even got to making the tart, but managed to keep enough for some small ones and embelleshed my bigger tart with asian pear, which was a nice addition with acidity to cut through the marscapone.

I searched for an almond pie shell, and didnt really come up with much, so I pretty much made my own recipe up. If I were to repeat this, I would probably add pastry flour as I could taste the mealy wholemeal flour in there. The tart shell was a little heavy, I thought although I got good reviews! The chocolate pepper cookie base sounded nice in the original post, or I think mixing the almonds with graham crackers and a bit of melted butter.


















Another improvement might be to add orange zest in the marscapone would cut through the richness a little and give a more rounded result.

Recipes:
Tart Shell(Makes 1 9" and 3 smaller tarts):
1 1/2 cups Almond meal
1 cup Wholemeal flour
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Orange Blossom Honey
1/2 tsp Almond Essence
4tbsp Butter (melted)
1 Egg (beaten lightly)

Preheat the oven to 350C. Combine the almond meal, flour, brown sugar in a food processor, pulse a few times then add the other ingredients and pulse until combined. Press into tart shells and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.

Filling:
8oz Marscapone Cheese
1/2 Cup Non fat vanilla yoghurt

Whisk together until all the lumps are gone

Spoon the filling in the shells and then arrange figs and other fruits over the top.

No comments: